theundercovermom

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Was it Something I Said?

I think I have a complex.  Or it might just be a rude neighbor.  You see, a few days ago, I was shopping with my husband and kids and we noticed a mom I knew shopping with her young daughter and when I walked over to say hello, she snubbed me.  I mean, I even called out her name and she did that "I'm pretending not to see you look" that I've used dozens of times on people I don't want to say hello to because then I'll be caught in a conversation with someone I really don't feel like speaking with in the first place.
Wait a second.  Did she pull "the snub" on me because she wanted to avoid me? Am I annoying?  Or someone she doesn't want to even acknowledge even though I practically see her every day at my kids' school?  Was it something I said, or didn't say?  I have to admit, it was rude of me to not buy her a baby gift when she gave birth about a year ago, but I didn't think she'd hold it against me.  
Come to think of it - she's not the only person who purposely snubs me even though I know she knows exactly who I am.  There's one mom in particular - I actually wrote about her about a year ago in a post called The Witches of Preschool - she is by far the Queen of all snubbers in my neighborhood.  I can't tell you the dozens of times I've seen her at school, in the supermarket, the post office, and even at my own kids' birthday party and she pretends not to see me or will carry on a conversation with another mom and act as if I'm not in the room.  I don't know what I did to her either, but she is by far the rudest snubber I've ever met - except of course for my cousin.
Yes, my own relative has snubbed me on numerous occasions.  Even though we live approximately 1/4 mile from each other, we are practically in another country - I'm in New Rochelle, she's in Scarsdale - in a gi-normous mansion.  I've never been invited to her home and have told my parents on numerous occasions that we should just ring and run just so we can check out her expansive foyer.  One time, she even snubbed me as we were walking into a Chinese restaurant and she was walking out.  She gave me that "I'm looking over your head" so I don't see you snub - a classic.
I am really growing tired of being snubbed by rude women and relatives and while I may be partly to blame, why can't people stop being oblivious for a change?  I know I'm guilty of snubbing people from time to time, so maybe in the New Year, I'll make a point to smile when people try to catch my attention. Say hello when someone calls my name and never ignore my neighbor.  Wait, I just discovered the 11th commandment - Thou Shalt Not Snub.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

View blog reactions